This is is a royal temple established in the Ayutthaya period (1350-1767 AD) and initially called Wat Kok Khwai. The name was later changed to
Wat Kok Krabue in the Thonburi and early Bangkok eras. During the Rattanakosin period, King Rama III (1824-1851) added a wiharn in the form
of the Chinese junk to remind the Thai people of the sailing ships that had brought much prosperity to the country. The two chedi (pagodas)
represent the masts of the ship and the alter is in the wheel house on the rear upper deck. King Rama III also bestowed the name Wat Yannawa upon the temple.
Wat Yannawa was very popular with Chinese people who settled in the Yannawa area after the original China Town area became too crowded.
The temple is still popular with the Chinese people who continue to live in the district.
❷ Wat Kalayanmit Woramahawihan • วัดกัลยาณมิฅรวรมหาวิหาร
also : Wat Kalayanamitr Varamahavihara, Wat Kalayanamitrworamahavihan
This temple was established in 1825 by Chaophraya Nikonbodin (เจ้าพระยานิกรบดินทร์), who donated it to King Rama III.
❸ Wat Thewarat Kunchorn Worawiharn • วัดเทวราชกุญชร วรวิหาร
This was originally a civil temple built during the Ayutthaya Period and called Wat Samor Khraeng.
During the reign of King Rama IV, it was adopted as a third class royal temple and given its current name after Krom Phra Phithak Thewet, son of King Rama II,
founder of the Kunchorn family and renovator of the temple. The Ubosot (Ordination Hall), built during King Rama III's reign, has the same style as Wat Phra Kaeo (วัดพระแก้ว).
The principal Buddha image of the Dwawarawadi period, made of bronze with gold covering, in the Subduing Mara posture is enshrined in the Ubosot.
The image is 2.8 m width and 3.4 m high. The image was given the name Phra Phuttha Thewarat Patimakorn by His Majesty King Rama IX on February 15, 2003.
❹ Lunch break at 'ร้านอาหารบ้านคุณแอ๋ว'
As it was Father's day, all other restaurants were closed. This one is a classic civic restaurant - we had to take off our shoes.
You may choose between Noodle Soup. In the back room we had the chance to see how Foi Tong is made 'online'.
That was a very instructive event. Of course we also had the chance to buy a lot of Thai sweets :-)
Somehow this restaurant reminded me of an 'advertising sales event' ...
❺ Wat Phai Lom (Koh Kret) • วัดไผ่ล้อม
This temple is on an small island which was formed by a channel, build in 1722 to bypass a large bend in the river.
The King (Somdet Phra Chao Yu Hua Thai Sa) was trying to save time whilst sailing to the former capital, Ayutthaya.
By and by the channel widened. This island was given then to the Mon people as a reward for loyalty in fighting against the Burmese.
They build the temple 'Wat Phai Lom' in the year 1770. Since then they lived there and managed to conserve a lot of their
customs. Mon people are well known for their clay pots and sweets.
❻ Wat Chalerm Prakiat Worawihan • วัดเฉลิมพระเกียฅริ
This temple was also build by King Rama III. He did so to commemorate his mother, who once lived in the area. The temple was built within an old fortification
built by King Narai of Ayuthaya in the 17th century. The outer wall, in particular the side facing the river, still resembles a fortress.
The temple consists of a large ubosot, flanked by two smaller wiharns (prayer halls). All three buildings feature roofs with gables richly
decorated using colored porcelain, giving them a Chinese flavor that was popular at the time. The doors and window shutters are decorated with rather simple
but elegant designs on black lacquer. Behind the ubosot is a large white-washed chedi built by King Rama IV (Mongkut) in the mid- 19th century.
Directly aside the temple is the Chalerm Kanchanpisek Park.